Paramount And Qualcomm To Launch App For Star Trek Into Darkness
Superhero Hype reports that Paramount Pictures and Qualcomm will launch a new app for Star Trek Into Darkness at the end of January. The new app will unlock a surprise during the second quarter of the Super Bowl on February 3 with a TV spot. The announcement was made at the International CES show in Las Vegas.
Users who register for the app will be automatically entered into a contest to win a VIP trip to the US premiere. To do so, you have to visit StarTrekMovie.com/CES.
Qualcomm’s Chairman and CEO Dr. Paul E. Jacobs said: “We are excited about collaborating with Paramount on this app as it further brings to life Qualcomm’s vision of the digital sixth sense, where devices intelligently interact with the world around you. By leveraging the Gimbal platform, this app harnesses the power of the smartphone to bridge the digital and physical world, allowing the studio to market the film in the real world and simultaneously bring users into the film’s story and world.“
It includes the following highlights:
– An audio scan function that can be turned on to automatically recognize and reward users for watching Star Trek Into Darkness content on TV and other media.
– An image scan function that lets users interact with images printed or viewable in the real world.
– A geofencing function for “location-based experiences”.
– New content from the film including videos, images and wallpapers delivered directly to users’ mobile devices.
– Exclusive opportunities and special offers only available to app users.
– One winner given the grand prize of attending the premiere of Star Trek Into Darkness.
The film itself was written by Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman & Damon Lindelof and directed by J.J. Abrams. Abrams producing with Bryan Burk through Bad Robot Productions, along with Lindelof, Kurtzman and Orci. Jeffrey Chernov and Skydance Productions’ David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Paul Schwake are the executive producers. The film will be released on May 17, 2013.