mma / News

Michael Bisping vs. George St-Pierre Fight Cancelled

May 11, 2017 | Posted by Jeremy Thomas

Georges St-Pierre will not be fighting Michael Bisping later this year. Dana White told FOX Sports Australia that the fight will not happen and that Yoel Romero will get the next shot at Bisping.

“I made this ‘GSP’ fight – we did a press conference,” White said. “The thing was supposed to happen in July. Michael Bisping is going to have to defend his title now. We’re not waiting for ‘GSP.’ Georges St-Pierre was coming back. Bisping-St Pierre – they both wanted that fight. We asked Yoel to step aside. He did. It doesn’t look like that fight is gonna happen now. (Romero) doesn’t need to voice his opinion on why he needs a title shot. He definitely deserves a title shot. He’s next in line – he’s the No.1 ranked guy in the world.

The news is likely to be music to Bisping’s ears, as the champion had been vocal about his frustration regarding St-Pierre’s not wanting to fight until November. White added, “Georges St-Pierre is saying he will not be ready to compete now until November. Who knows if that’s even the case? It could be next year. … So we’re not waiting for Georges St-Pierre anymore. We’re moving on with the division, and Yoel Romero will get the next shot.”

comments powered by Disqus