The Hollywood 5 & 1: 01.05.13: The Best & Worst of 2012 Edition!
BEFORE WE BEGIN…
I’m Steve Gustafson and welcome to a special 5 & 1 where we’ll take a look at 2012 and give a little special attention to the good, the bad, and the downright ugly! This past year has give us plenty of laughs, some tears, and moments where we say, “What the hell?”
2012 headlines were filled with stories from the Olympics, the Presidential elections, and the term “Mommy Porn” with the arrival of Fifty Shades of Grey. I have to point out the the music airwaves were dominated by “Call Me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepsen and “Gangham Style” by Psy. Rihanna put even the past behind her when she reunited with Chris Brown, even recording a duet with Brown on her aptly titled release, “Unapologetic.”
Teen girls (and guys) everywhere were thrilled (and heartbroken) when it was reported that Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez had broken up. They were later saddened (and thrilled) when it was reported that they had gotten back together.
But this week I’ll be taking a look at the Best and Worst of 2012 in Celebrity and Movie news! Agree or disagree, leave your comments below of what headlines made the biggest impact in pop culture!
I was thinking how best to celebrate the beautiful women we feature here in the Hollywood 5 & 1 and thought, “How about a battle royale?” Why not? Sure, we had a VS competition to crown a champ but how about a full blown, winner takes all between 16 of the hottest ladies walking the planet?
Our ladies include: Denise Milani, Stacey Dash, Salma Hayek, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sofia Vergara, Mila Kunis, Scarlett Johansson, Keeley Hazell, Susan Coffey, Mya Jane, Holly Peers, Penelope Cruz, Arianny Celeste, Kate Upton, Sarah Shahi, and Gina Carano!
Make sure you’re following all the comings and goings around 411mania on Twitter! Follow me for some witty tweets from time-to-time as well. Dana White, Jesse Jane, and Larry Csonka follow me. What are you waiting for?
Alright, let’s go over the hits and misses of 2012!
* The only thing bigger than the anticipation was the expectations. On paper it looked liked Marvel Studios’ The Avengers was going to be a hit. Any movie featuring Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man is a safe bet. But you never know. Director Joss Whedon was a community favorite, but his big screen resume wasn’t exactly solid. But it looks like any concern was silly because Whedon’s comic book epic just didn’t become a hit, it turned out to be the third highest grossing film of all time behind Avatar and Titanic.
* Take a minute and guess the number of actors who have had three $100 million hits in the same calendar year. Go ahead. I’ll wait. Give up? One. And his name is Channing Tatum. Yes, in six years, Tatum has gone Mr. Step Up to truly stepping up his presence in the industry. Tatum started 2012 with the romantic hit The Vow ($125 million), continued it with the comedy smash 21 Jump Street, ($138.4 million) and in June delivered the surprise summer profit center Magic Mike ($113 million). Oh, and he is People’s Sexiest Man Alive. Welcome to the big time, Mr. Tatum.
* He didn’t garner the headlines as much as he should have but Kevin Hart not only had a great year, he’s one to watch! Hollywood has pretty much conceded the African-American genre over the past few years to Tyler Perry. Not so fast. That all changed with the crossover success of Screen Gems’ Think Like A Man. The comedy grossed $91.5 million on a budget of just $12 million making it one of the most profitable pictures of the year. Hart is definitely the industry’s hot new comedy star.
* You make fun. You shake your head. You judge but Alana Thompson took 2012 by storm thanks to her questionable, yet highly addicting, TLC reality series, Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, which follows the life of the lovable child beauty queen and her equally interesting family.
* Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi’s partying days came to an end in August when she and fiancé Jionne LaValle welcomed son Lorenzo.
* The X Factor got a boost of super-stardom when it added Britney Spears and Demi Lovato to its judges’ panel, replacing ousted members Paula Abdul and Nicole Scherzinger.
* Jennifer Lawrence! She proved her worth and the popularity of The Hunger Games by making an impression to the tune of a $408 million gross domestically and $686 million worldwide.
* American Idol season 12 got off to a rough start when judges Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey were caught on videotape having a heated exchange. At one point, a furious Minaj yelled to Carey, “Say one more disrespectful thing to me, if you say one more disrespectful thing to me…off with your head!”
* Let’s take a look at the Biggest Movie Flops of 2012!
Battleship — Budget: reportedly $209-225 mln; Domestic: $65.2 mln; Int’l: $237.6 mln
Big Miracle — Budget: $40 mln; Domestic: $20.2 mln; Int’l: $4.6 mln
Dredd 3D — Budget: $50 mln; Domestic: $13.4 mln; Int’l: 17.5 mln
John Carter — Budget: $250 mln; Domestic: $73.1 mln; Int’l: $209.7 mln
The Oogieloves In The Big Balloon Adventure — Budget: $20 mln; Domestic: $1.1 mln; Int’l: N/A
People Like Us — Budget: $16 mln; Domestic: $12.4 mln; Int’l: N/A
Premium Rush — Budget: $35 mln; Domestic: $20.3 mln; Int’l: $10.4 mln
Red Tails — Budget: $58 mln; Domestic: $49.9 mln; Int’l: N/A
Rock of Ages — Budget: $75 mln; Domestic: $38.5 mln; Foreign: $17.8 mln
Ruby Sparks — Budget: $8 mln; Domestic: $2.5 mln; Int’l: $3.9 mln
That’s My Boy — Budget: $70 mln; Domestic: $36.9 mln; Int’l: $20.8 mln
A Thousand Words — Budget: $40 mln; Domestic: $18.5 mln; Int’l: $2.1 mln
Wanderlust — Budget: $30 mln; Domestic: $17.3 mln; Int’l: $4.2 mln
The Watch — Budget: $68 mln; Domestic: $35.4 mln; Int’l: $32.6 mln
Won’t Back Down — Budget: $25 mln; Domestic: $5.3 mln; Int’l: N/A
* Angus T. Jones pulled a Charlie Sheen when he called his show Two and a Half Men “filth” and urged fans to stop watching it in a religious video posted to YouTube. He subsequently apologized for the video after it went viral, saying, “Without qualification, I am grateful to and have the highest regard and respect for all of the wonderful people on Two and Half Men with whom I have worked over the past 10 years and who have become an extension of my family.”
* I like to call her “Lohan-lite”. Yes, Amanda Bynes didn’t have the best 2012. From some questionable personal life decisions to her legal issues, she earned her Bad Girl badge.
* Lindsay Lohan. Do I really need to go over her 2012? I don’t think I have the space.
BREAK UP OR MAKE UP!
* Here’s a twist that you’ll only find in Hollywood! The former couple Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston both confirmed their engagements this year; to Angelina Jolie and Justin Theroux, respectively. I say Brad and Angelina make it to the alter. Jennifer and Justin…*SHRUG*
* We had a year of big splits! Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony was a surprise but none was more shocking than Katie Holmes’ blindsiding Tom Cruise!
* On Oct. 19, Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel said “I Do” at a private ceremony in Italy. Biel later described the wedding as a “total fantasy experience.” Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds swerved everyone when they pulled off a private wedding on Sept. 9, in Mt. Pleasant, SC.
* Was there anything bigger? Nothing rocked Hollywood more in 2012 than the Walt Disney Company’s surprise acquisition of Lucasfilm. George Lucas had said for years that he wanted to retire and make “smaller films,” but no one saw this coming. The interweb exploded on Oct. 30, when Disney announced not only was it buying Lucasfilm, but that three new Star Wars films were already in the works. How they kept it a secret…we’ll never know!
* In July, US Weekly published shocking photos of Kristen Stewart engaging in an intimate affair with her Snow White and the Huntsman director Rupert Sanders. The news ended her relationship with her Twilight co-star, Robert Pattinson; however, by the time The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part II hit theaters in November, they were back together.
* Plenty of celebs announced they were pregnant this year (Kristen Bell, Shakira, Sophie Dahl), and it looked like Kate Middleton was going to trump them all. But hold on a minute. Kim Kardashian and Kanye West brought the spotlight back to them when they annoucend that the reality star was expecting.
* After confirming her pregnancy at the MTV Video Music Awards, in August 2011, singer Beyonce Knowles welcomed her first child, daughter Blue Ivy Carter, on January 7.
What’s the VIDEO BUZZ?
2012 in 4 minutes! Did they miss anything?
Welcome back to the & 1 Model of the Week! Where we search this thing called the internet to find a lovely lady to appreciate in all her beauty.
The & 1 Model of the Week brings us…Leola Bell! What’s that? Leola was our “& 1” Model a few weeks ago? Since we were doing a 2012 wrap up, I wanted to give the shine, once again, to my favorite Playmate ever! 2012 was Leola’s year! Not only was she Playboy’s Miss February, she set the standard when it came to social media, fan interaction, and charity work!
As you may or may not have heard, voting for Playmate of the Year has started. Leola has been a friend of mine and a friend to 411mania.com and she gets endorsement. Click on the LINK and vote daily! Thanks!
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present…Leola Bell!
Check her out on Twitter: @LeolaBell
Stop back next week for another & 1 Model of the Week
Do you enjoy the 5 & 1 format? Then check out the other fine 5 & 1 features on the site:
* Stewart Lange holds down the fort across the pond with his MMA 5 & 1!
* Tony Acero puts the Wrestling world in a headlock with his Wrestling 5 & 1!
Give my blog a glance HERE! And tell a friend!
Make sure you check out my Big Screen Bulletin every single Monday! All the movie news and rumors that you missed over the weekend!
I started a suicide prevention resource site. Give it a look and share! Tiger Flash Games!
All pictures courtesy of Maxim Magazine, W, People, FHM, Details magazine, www.cnn.com, and www.imdb.com.