WWE Looks At Randy Savage’s Rivalry with Jerry Lawler
- WWE.com has a profile looking at the late Randy Savage’s intense real-life rivalry with Jerry Lawler during the late 1970s and early 1980s. The article looks at the time when Lawler’s home promotion the CWA was the main promotion in Tennessee, Kentucky and parts of Mississippi, Alabama, Indiana and Arkansas and found itself competing with the ICW, an “outlaw” promotion founded by Angelo Poffo (Savage’s father).
Lawler told WWE.com, “What happened was Randy Savage, his brother Lanny Poffo and his father Angelo Poffo got the idea that they wanted to start a little promotion of their own. hen you’re on the bottom rung of the ladder, you usually think the way to get attention is to try to get the rub off the established guys. Well what Randy and his group did is they started making challenges. Randy Savage would go out and say, ‘I’m going to wrestle Jerry Lawler this Saturday night in Lexington!’ Of course, I was never going to be there. I didn’t even know this was being done. Then Randy would go out to the ring and say, ‘Would you look at this? Jerry Lawler’s a coward!’ That was their philosophy on how to make a name for themselves.”
Lawler noted, “The animosity between Randy Savage and myself went beyond the ring. It became really personal.” You can read the full story here.
Must-read wrestling news:
* Two undercard matches being discussed for Wrestlemania 29
* WWE to attempt world’s largest Harlem Shake at Wrestlemania
* Chris Jericho reflects on WWE return
* Check out the official poster for Wrestlemania 29
* Wrestling’s 4Rs: WWE Raw, ROH TV & DGUSA Open the Golden Gate Reviewed
* 411’s Impact Wrestling report