mma / News

Conor McGregor Reportedly Detained in Corsica for Allegations of Sexual Assault & Exhibitionism, Reps Deny Any Misconduct

September 13, 2020 | Posted by Jeffrey Harris
Conor McGregor - Stephen Espinoza

According to a report by ESPN, the Agence France Press first reported on Saturday that a complaint was filed against former UFC champion Conor McGregor on Thursday (Sept. 10) for alleged attempted sexual assault and sexual exhibitionism in Corsica. The AFP cited prosecutors that McGregor was arrested and later released on Saturday (Sept. 12) following a hearing.

The prosecutor’s office for the area said in a written statement, “Following a complaint filed on September 10 denouncing acts that could be described as attempted sexual assault and sexual exhibition, Mr. Conor Anthony Mac Gregor was the subject of a hearing by the police.”

McGregor’s representatives later angrily denied any accusations of misconduct. Speaking to ESPN’s Ariel Helwani, McGregor legal spokesperson Karen Kessler said, “Conor McGregor vigorously denies any accusation of misconduct.”

McGregor’s agent, Audie Attar of Paradigm Sports Management later commented on the report, “He has been interviewed and released.” Attar added, “I am irate and putting out a warning loud and clear: Conor McGregor is not and will not be a target for those seeking to score a headline or a payday.”

The fighter was reportedly in the area to attend the Calvi-Monaco Water Bike Challenge. The alleged incident took place in a bar in Calvi in Corsica. McGregor later posted on Twitter in the area on Friday (Sept. 11) that United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) officials came to the area in order to administer a drug test on him while he was on his yacht in the Mediterranean.

Speaking to reporters in a media scrum following last night’s UFC on ESPN+ 35 card, UFC President Dana White was asked about the McGregor Incident. White stated he didn’t “know enough” about the situation, commenting, “I don’t know about it. I know what you’ve read. I’ve read the same things. Conor is retired. I haven’t talked to him. I’m sure he doesn’t need my help or advice. But if he did, he could call.”

Previously, McGregor had commented on Twitter that he retired from MMA. However, he’s done that multiple times and remains in the USADA testing pool. He last fought at UFC 246 in January, beating Donald Cerrone by knockout in 40 seconds.

Last October, The New York Times reported that McGregor was being investigated for a second sexual assault over an alleged incident that took place in Dublin, Ireland in October 2019. Also, The NY Times reports that McGregor was arrested in January 2019 and under investigation after a complaint of assaulting a woman in December 2018.

It should be noted, the protocol for criminal investigations in Ireland and most of Europe is that a formal charge does not necessarily follow an arrest. In January, authorities questioned McGregor and released him pending further investigation.

You can view McGregor’s tweet on getting tested by USADA here:

article topics :

Conor McGregor, UFC, Jeffrey Harris