mma / News

Mike Tyson Announces Return To Boxing For Eight-Round Bout With Roy Jones Jr

July 23, 2020 | Posted by Joseph Lee
Mike Tyson AEW Double or Nothing

The baddest man on the planet is returning for one more round. Yahoo Sports reports that ‘Iron’ Mike Tyson is returning to the boxing ring for an eight-round exhibition fight with Roy Jones Jr. The fight happens on September 12 at the Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California.

California State Athletic Commission executive director Andy Foster confirmed Tyson has a hold on the date. He met with Tyson and Jones on Zoom to confirm the details. The boxers won’t wear any headgear, but will have larger than normal gloves, likely 12 ounce gloves, according to Foster.

He said: “This isn’t a situation where they’re going out there to try to take each other’s heads off. They’re just going to be in there moving around the ring and letting fans see these legends.

Tyson’s last fight was against Kevin McBride on June 11, 2005, a loss. Jones, meanwhile, fought more recently, beating Scott Sigmon on February 8, 2018. Tyson is 54 and Jones is 51.

Foster said there is talk of a possible boxing match between James Toney and Tito Ortiz on the undercard, but Ortiz said it wasn’t happening.

Tyson posted videos earlier this year of himself training, and this seems to be what he was training for.

article topics :

Mike Tyson, Joseph Lee