Movies & TV / Columns

Do We Need Another Ghostbusters?

January 19, 2019 | Posted by Steve Gustafson

Before we dive into the future, let’s acknowledge the past, specifically the 2016 Ghostbusters.

When Sony announced it in 2014, plenty of people were skeptical on how they were going to handle the beloved franchise. The female-led cast faced backlash from the start, dimming the chances of it finding any kind of success. The movie grossed $128.3 million domestically and $100.8 million internationally, against a production budget of $144 million, labelling it a box office bomb. The negative reviews from fans and critics made it clear that they had missed the mark.

For me, I actually liked the casting and went in with an open mind. It was pretty obvious that the cast wasn’t the problem, the movie just lacked any kind of spark and missed what made the original fun. A weak script doomed this project.

Now we have another Ghostbusters in production and it brings lots of questions.

Director Jason Reitman has been busy working under the radar on a new Ghostbusters movie. Entertainment Weekly announced the news that Reitman will direct and co-write the upcoming movie, which will be set in the world that was saved decades previously by the crew from the original 1984 movie. Most of you should remember that the movie was directed by his father, Ivan Reitman.

Sony has the movie on the calendar for Summer 2020 and we have couple crumbs to get an idea of what to expect.

“I’ve always thought of myself as the first Ghostbusters fan, when I was a 6-year-old visiting the set. I wanted to make a movie for all the other fans,” Reitman shared. “This is the next chapter in the original franchise. It is not a reboot. What happened in the ‘80s happened in the ‘80s, and this is set in the present day.”

No word on any new characters or if the original cast like Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, or Bill Murray will return. Harold Ramis passed in 2014.

Hudson, who played Winston Zeddemore in the original, told DailyMailTV that “everybody is in” for the new project. Hudson does clarify, however, that he still hasn’t heard from Sony.

“Ivan Reitman is there and everybody is in,” he said. “Now whether the studio will do it, I’m the guy who sits by the phone and waits for the call. So if they call, I’ll answer. If not, I’ve got other stuff that I’m doing.”

Aykroyd’s been pushing for another sequel for a while and did in an interview back in November saying that a script was “being written right now” and that it was “a possibility” that he, Murray, and Hudson would return.

“This is very early, and I want the film to unwrap like a present. We have a lot of wonderful surprises and new characters for the audience to meet,” says Reitman, who co-wrote the screenplay with Monster House and Poltergeist remake filmmaker Gil Kenan.

“I love everything about it. The iconography. The music. The tone,” Reitman says. “I remember being on set and seeing them try out the card catalog gag for the first time when the library ghost makes them come flying out. I remember the day they killed Stay Puft and I brought home a hardened piece of foam that just sat on a shelf for years. I was scared there was a terror dog underneath my bed before people knew what a terror dog was.”

His father will produce the movie. “It will be a passing of the torch both inside and out,” says Ivan. “It was a decision he had to come to himself. He worked really hard to be independent and developed a wonderful career on his own. So I was quite surprised when he came to me with Gil and said, ‘I know I’ve been saying for 10 years I’m the last person who should make a Ghostbusters movie, but…I have this idea.’ Literally, I was crying by the end of it, it was so emotional and funny.”

It’s only a couple of interviews and a quick teaser but I really am optimistic about this. You have the son of the original director, who will be there in a producer capacity, guiding the movie. He gets it. He has fond memories and knows what made it special. If anyone has a chance to make a successful next chapter to Ghostbusters, Reitman does.

The surviving members of the cast have made it clear that they’ll only return if the script is worthy so the fact we’re here means it must be solid.

Of course with any announcement comes rumors. Like this one.

The site We Got This Covered has been all over the story and has a couple of “sources” that say that the main characters of the movie would be young kids. According to WGTC’s report, the 2020 Ghostbusters will revolve around two kids living in a small town. A 12-year old girl who is described as a young Egon and an excitable young boy who exhibits “unbridled excitement for the unknown”.

To add to that, the Hollywood Reporter is saying that the main characters will be “four teens”, two girls and two boys. Too soon to tell what’s what.

Call me crazy but I’m good with this. One of any studios ways to pump new life into a popular franchise is to mix the old with the new and Ghostbusters looks to be going down that road. I’m cool with the ride.

article topics :

Ghostbusters, Steve Gustafson


Loading...