Movies & TV / Columns

A Look at the Fallout Of James Franco’s Sexual Misconduct Claims

January 13, 2018 | Posted by Steve Gustafson
James Franco

Time really is up for those in Hollywood who have used their positions of power and authority to sexually assault or harass those under them.

James Franco is the latest to have allegations of of sexual misconduct aimed against him and the Golden Globe winner is feeling the heat, which looks to derail his awards run.

In reality, winning an award is the least of Franco’s problems. Five women came forward to the Los Angeles Times accusing Franco of sexual misconduct, much of it during his tenure as an acting professor at Studio 4, which he launched in association with Playhouse West in 2014.

Franco has spoken out on several occasions about the accuracy of the allegations. “In my life I pride myself on taking responsibility for things that I have done,” he told Late Show host Stephen Colbert. “I have to do that to maintain my well being … If I have done something wrong, I will fix it.”

During an appearance on Late Night with Seth Meyers, Franco again addressed the allegations. “There are people that need to be heard,” the actor told Meyers. “I have my own side of this story, but I believe in these people that have been underrepresented getting their stories out enough that I will hold back things that I could say, just because I believe in it that much,” he said. “So if I have to take a knock because I’m not going to try and actively refute things, then I will, because I believe in it that much.”

Franco’s plight puts the awards in a sensitive position. Franco has already won a Gotham Award, a Golden Globe and a Critics’ Choice award for his performance in The Disaster Artist. So far he has received a Screen Actors Guild and Film Independent Spirit Award nominations and this all comes as the Academy closed voting for an Oscar consideration.

The Academy is still reeling from the Harvey Weinstein scandal and will have to make some hard decisions on how it will address sexual misconduct.

Franco’s allegations are still being processed but the stories coming out of the L.A. Times report paint a disturbing picture, if true. They detail incidents like Franco removing the protective plastic guards covering actresses’ vaginas while simulating oral sex in filmed scenes.

And what of Franco’s HBO series, The Deuce? Co-creator David Simon says the network is “trying to discern what is or isn’t there” regarding the allegations against Franco.

“I am still reading it the same as everyone else, trying to discern what is or isn’t there,” Simon said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. “Personally, I can only speak knowledgeably to The Deuce. I’ve checked with all my fellow producers and other personnel. We have no complainant or complaint or any awareness of any incident of concern involving Mr. Franco.”

He added that Franco has been “entirely professional as an actor, director, and producer” on this particular project.

Time will tell where Franco will land.

article topics :

James Franco, Steve Gustafson