Movies & TV / News

UPDATED: Jussie Smollett Cleared of All Charges, Investigation for Threatening Letter Still Ongoing

March 26, 2019 | Posted by Jeffrey Harris
Jussie Smollett Empire

UPDATE: TMZ has reported some more details on the story. Jussie Smollett and his lawyer, Patricia Holmes, recently addressed the media. The message taken away from the comments was that Smollett is happy with the ruling and wants to get on with his life. Holmes reinforced that no deal was struck with prosecutors. Instead, prosecutors voluntarily dropped the charges on their own. Meanwhile, Smollett voluntarily forfeited his bond.

Additionally, Smollett thanked those who supported him through the case. He claimed that he’d been truthful and consistent throughout the entirety of the case. He added that he would never put the LGBTQ movement “through a fire like this.” Also, he thanked his fellow Empire costars for supporting him.

One issue that Smollett could still face is the the threatening letter. Per the latest TMZ update, federal law enforcement sources are saying that Smollett is still under investigation for the threatening letter that was sent to him with racist and homophobic slurs. The letter was sent to him at the Empire office just eight days before the alleged attack took place.

Chicago PD Superintendent Eddie T. Johnson claimed that Smollett was responsible for sending the letter to himself. However, the FBI has not yet reached that as a final conclusion.

ORIGINAL: In the latest for the Jussie Smollett case, TMZ reports that the Empire star is now free and clear of all charges. Per the report, the prosecution has dropped all charges against Smollett for allegedly faking a racial assault.

Smollett and his legal team were called to court earlier today in Chicago. Previously, Smollett was facing 16 felony counts of lying to police for allegedly faking an attack. Smollett maintained his innocence.

As of now, the case is said to be over, but Smollett will forfeit his $10,000 bond. State’s Attorney Kim Foxx reportedly told Chicago police that she was dropping the case because Smollett would only receive community service if he received a conviction, and since he has already performed community service, there was no point in prosecuting him.

TMZ says no record was found of Smollett doing community service yet. Chicago law enforcement were said to be furious over the case being dropped and believe something “untoward is going on with Kim Foxx.” A source close to the Smollett camp claimed that the prosecution’s case against Smollett “disintegrated.”

Later on, Smollett’s family released a statement celebrating the news. Per the statement, “This morning truth has prevailed and (Jussie) has been vindicated. While many were quick to rush to judgement before hearing the actual truth, we are grateful that the truth about Jussie has come to light. We look forward to bringing the real perpetrators to justice.”

A statement from Kim Foxx’s office stated: “After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case.”

Smollett’s co-workers on Empire are also said to be happy about the news on Twitter. Previously, Jussie Smollett was an alleged victim of a racist attack that took place in January. However, police later claimed that the event was a hoax orchestrated by Smollett.

article topics :

Jussie Smollett, Jeffrey Harris